Funding & Financing
EXIST Business Start-up Grant
The EXIST Business Start-up Grant is a nationwide funding program that supports innovative business start-ups from universities and research institutions in the early stages. The project should be a technologically innovative startup approach with good prospects of economic success. Founders are financed for one year in order to turn their startup idea into a business plan.
Who is being funded?
The EXIST Business Start-up Grant scheme supports startup teams of up to 3 people for one year. People eligible for funding are:
- University graduates and research assistants (up to 5 years after graduation)
Max. 1 student who has completed at least half of his/her studies at the time of application
Max. 1 person with qualified vocational training (technical employee without university degree) or whose university degree was awarded more than 5 years ago
What is being funded?
- Innovative startup idea that is technology-oriented and/or knowledge-based
- Scalable business model
- First positive market feedback can be presented, e.g. in the form of LOIs (Letters of Intent)
- A professor of the supporting university accompanies the start-up project as a mentor
How is support provided?
Scholarship to secure livelihood; amount depends on graduate status (GDP in each case):
- PhD students: 3,000 euros per month
- University graduates: 2,500 euros per month
- Technical employee: 2,000 euros per month
- Students: 1,000 euros per month
- Child supplement: 150 Euro per month per child
- Material resources: EUR 30 000
- Coaching funds: 5.000 Euro
- Infrastructure: Free office space in the Startup-Incubator Mitte or Adlershof as well as free use of laboratory space at the university if required
- Know-how: Free coaching and consulting by the start-up service and integration into the start-up ecosystem of the Humboldt University of Berlin
- Duration of scheme: 12 months
How do I apply?
3 steps to apply for the EXIST Business Start-up Grant:
- Make an initial consultation appointment with us
- Develop and submit application documents together with Startup Consultant - especially idea paper (max. 25 pages)
- Wait for a positive assessment by the project executing agency and, if necessary, fulfill additional requirements